Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Basket Blanket

Since getting the wild hair to start selling all of our projects on Etsy, we've made so much progress.  I've been crocheting non stop to build up inventory in the shop.  Of course, that frenzied pace has led me to make stupid mistakes.  Grr!  So, I have to  rip it all out and start again, but at least my blankets aren't ending up trapezoid-shaped. :)
Who is we?
Well, there's me.  Oh, my name?  Kim.  Or Kimberly.  Or "hey, you" works just fine, too.  I'm the daughter in the mother-daughter team.  I use crafting as a sort of therapy, and I love getting compliments on my work...who doesn't?!
Then there's Jane, my mom.  She taught me everything I know.  She is a super awesome crochet-er.  Who stitches are impossibly precise, and she won't let the teensiest, tiniest mistake make it into a project.  When she's not working crazy hours as a nurse in a (supremely underfunded) free clinic, she's crafting!

Here's our most recent project in the shop:


Our Ecru and Green Basket Weave blanket:

It's so easy.   No, really!  You can make your own pattern because only stitches it uses are front post double crochet and back post double crochet and half double crochet!
Here, I'll help:
1.  Pick a number between 2 and 6 (depending on how large you want your basket weave).

2.  Chain however many stitches will get your blanket (or scarf) the size you want.  (Make sure it's a multiple of your number from step 1!  i.e. I chose the number 4.  So I would chain 80, or 84, or 88, or 92...you get the picture)

3.  Chain 2 and turn (the work, not your body.  Though if you like to do the hokey pokey while crocheting, more power to you!)

4.  Double Crochet in all your chains, across.  (Here, you're setting up your "posts" so you can FPDC and BPDC from now on)

4.  Remember your number you chose in step 1?  Good!  FPDC that many.  Then BPDC that many.  Then FPDC that many.  Then BPDC that many.  Keep going to the end of the row.  HDC in the last loop after your last post.

5.  Chain 2 and turn!

6.  Do it all again until your blanket or scarf is the size you want!

For a more specific pattern, check out my inspiration at Delia Creates.  She uses a medium sized basket weave and uses a large hook and chunky yarn so your project will take no time at all!  (My favorite!)

I hope you enjoy!  (And if you're not much of a crafter, but appreciate the time and love put into crafting consider buying our blanket from our Etsy store: kim and jane.

0 comments:

Post a Comment